There are a lot of great tours in Amsterdam. There are many good guides but the demand is so big that there are lots of people guiding who do not know Amsterdam and its history. After 13 years working on a website about the Jewish history of this city and its surroundings, www.joodsamsterdam.nl, I dare to claim that I know something about this subject. And, I live in this city for 33 years.
What is different about our tours?
- You are guided by a local university-graduated historian who is writing over a decade about the Jewish history of this city and is conducting research on this subject.
- The tours are ‘off the beaten track’, Jewish Amsterdam has much more to offer than the tradional highlights.
- I can offer custom-made tours. I need some time for preparation, if your ancestors lived in Amsterdam I can do research on this and show you the locations where they lived. That’s a personalized experience!
- I speak English, German and Dutch (and basic Hebrew)
- I make the website that are often used by other guides for the information
- In order to make it your expercience, only small and private groups
August 31, 2017
Chana, Phil, Robbie, Libbie, Betsy and Barry
Which tours are possible directly?
Tour 1 / Amsterdam Centre and East
This tour starts on the Frederiksplein. You will be guided through this part of the city, we go to the New Canals (Jewish part) and we will end where the tour started. This tour takes 90 minutes.
Tour 2 / Amsterdam Centre and Plantage
Besides the history there is also a highlight on the small Jewish entrepeneur. The tour starts at the Joodse Schouwburg on the Plantage Middenlaan and ends at the statue of Spinoza near the Staalstraat. 90 minutes.
Tour 3 / from Montelbaan to Hollandse Schouwburg
A guides tour that starts where it all began, near the Montelbaanstoren. We see important locations of the history of Jewish Amsterdam and we end at the Plantage Middenlaan near the Hollandse Schouwburg. 90 minutes.
Tour 4 / Highlights of Jewish Amsterdam
The highlights of Jewish Amsterdam in a one hour tour. Begin and end near the Waterlooplein, it can be combined with a visit to the Jewish Museums.
Tour 5 / Monnickendam
This tour can be combined with one of the other tours and showes the traces of Jewish life in a town near the former Zuiderzee.